JOINT FINANCE COMMITTEE HEARINGS — WHAT TO EXPECT AND PRESENTATION TIPS
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Arrive early. Line to speak will start early. Doors might open 2 hours before the hearing.
- If necessary, you can speak later in the day but allow for waiting time.
- There is a 2 - minute time limit. Think strategically. Be brief. Be specific. Have an affirmative ask.
- Write out your presentation. Count the words. Practice it out loud.
- Identify yourself and your community. Connect with your legislator.
- Begin with your issue or main concern.
- Tell your story. Use the “Public Narrative” framework. Answer: Why me? Why us? What are we going to do about it?
- Create urgency. Tell the “Story of Now”.
- Make a specific ask. End your testimony with something short and catchy. Use RE – reinvest, restore, etc.
- Check the briefing papers on the budget. Review talking points on your issue. Fact - check your statement.
- Use the JFC Hearings as an opportunity to resonate across common values.
- Bring 3 copies: one for the clerk, one for your group and one for yourself.
SOURCE AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT
Wisconsin Leadership Development (WILD) Budget Action Workshop 2017,
Staff and Volunteer Trainers